Jan 31, 2010

Just as free as we’ll ever be

Hello all! Sorry I haven’t updated this in a little bit…. I’ve been getting settled into my little home away from home  Bilbao is AMAZING. Our first week here kicked off with several days of orientations and tours at school. All of our teachers are wonderful, they are all so helpful so it’s made this transition a smoother. We all spent the first week exploring our little town and unpacking, I live in Getxo – which is a suburb of Bilbao. Last Friday we went to Art After Dark at the Guggenheim Museum, it was PACKED – it was a sold out after hours art show and dance party, apparently entertainment was one of Spain’s top stars – however I have no clue who it was lol. We had such an awesome time, the Guggenheim is right along the river that goes through Bilbao. When we had our housing meetings with school – the director Ibon told us that the right side of the river is all of the upper class housing and stores, and the left side of the river was the industry side where the workers live, Ibon said the only good thing about the left side of the river was the views…… I quickly clarified what side would we be living on? …Lucky us – we’re on the right  After the museum we went to a Bilbao hotspot – Fever! It’s a 2 story dance club right along the water – it was a lot of fun…interesting crowd though. The first week was also full of a lot of late-nights so I’m looking forward to slowing down a bit and putting the pedal to the metal with school.







This Friday we went on a 7 mile or so hike with school along the coast, omg the coastline is amazing….what’s even more amazing is to think it’s my backyard!  I am so grateful for my time here so far and couldn’t be happier. We have a really good group of people and we all immediately became great friends. Friday night we went to a few local bars and there was a little concert at one of the places. This guy Sam is friends with one of the girls in the program and he is so awesome! He can sing ANY song you can name! So it was nice to hear some of the American favorites – especially the Spice Girls. The girls and I had fun acting out that rendition at the top of our lungs! Saturday we went shopping downtown and hit up Christian Dior for some bright red lipstick which I rocked with a black dress and a leopard scarf – ballinnnn lol ….Typically I don’t wear lipstick like that but when in Spain right? All of the USAC students had a potluck at Allison’s house – her apartment is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than ours so we all just sat there jealous that ours wasn’t as modern …but we have the biggest so I guess we should count our blessings – Spain isn’t too big on housing since most of the entertaining is done in the streets and restaurants….so like I said we should be lucky to have such a huge place. Today is homework day – my Spanish course is really difficult so I’m enlisting a friends help today. The courses have a LOT of homework – typically 3 to 4 assignments a day!


The week continued with school and exploring our little world

No comments:

Post a Comment